Thursday 3 October 2019


Image result for sea as a mirror

In The Sea Of Conscience.

It was a windfall they said,
It was nothing else
Nothing made sense any more,
but confusion and chaos.
If you could point a finger
at a moment of distress
it was when I was gone
when I was lost
then it must have been somebody else
that spoke through me.

Then I was in the maelstrom
I did what everybody else would do
what was expected of me
because I was taught to say
the words that were actually said.
That was only human, I said,
and to be human is to find
justification.

But then it was confusion
and mechanical motion
instinctive reaction
canned ordeal.
Now I take my shoes off
and approach the burning bush
and the fire that does not consume
does not burn but makes a glow.

There in the sea of conscience
you could look and see yourself
then ask forgiveness to your God
not the one before you
but the one you have become
transfigured in your holiness
the one that resurrects Himself
and renews every time you change your view.

Tomorrow you would not
want to wake up in the middle
of tomorrow’s fears
for tonight’s exhaustion
is what makes you what you are:
normal, mundane, ordinary
too tired or too afraid
to ask another question.

Alfred Grech
03-10-2019


No comments:

Post a Comment